Divorce after Conditional Green Card

Divorce after Conditional Green Card When a foreigner marries a US citizen, the US citizen spouse can file to sponsor the foreign national for permanent residency (green card).  If the marriage is less than two years old at the time the applications are approved, the foreign spouse will receive a conditional green card which is […]

Marriage Green Card and Possible Illegal Entry

I have been dating this guy for a time and we wish to marry at the end year but he is not from the USA.  I have been reading many things he is here but has no visa or green card we would like to know what to do to obtain one without him having […]

Visa Waiver Program Entrant Applies for Adjustment of Status

I’m from Germany and I entered the US through with the visa waiver. My wife and I married and we applied for the green card but we filed it after the visa waiver expired. At the marriage interview, I was told that they would not approve my green card because I overstayed and I needed to file […]

NOID for Marriage Green Card

I received an Notice of Intention to Deny for my marriage green card case. The main reason is that we live apart. The officer wants to see more proof of our relationship. We have photos and phone bill to prove that we’re contacting each other and spend time together. Do you think that it’s sufficient? What is your advice on […]

Posted on August 22, 2012 at 7:39 pm by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink · Leave a comment
In: Marriage Green Card, NOID · Tagged with: ,

Marriage Green Card and School

I am currently on a F1 visa and am going to school at University of Indiana. My boyfriend and I are getting married and I want to apply for green card. Do I keep my F1 visa or can continue without? Most schools will allow admission with evidence that you have filed your Form I-485. It is a […]

Posted on July 21, 2012 at 8:33 am by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink · One Comment
In: F-1 Visa, Marriage Green Card · Tagged with: ,

H1B Visa and H4 Visa Extension

Is my H4 extended automatically when my husband extended his H1B? I’m worried because he got a new I-94 card when he extended his H1B but I haven’t gotten anything. An H4 visa status application may be filed concurrently with an H1B status application but they remain separate applications. If you did not file your own application […]

Marriage Green Card

My wife entered the US on a tourist visa two months ago. We weren’t planning on getting married but we ended up in Las Vegas and got married in a spur of the moment thing. What do we do now? Can she stay here or does she need a K3 visa? Immigration law discourages persons entering the US […]

Marriage Green Card: From Conditional Resident (CPR) to Permanent Resident (LPR)

If you were granted conditional resident status through marriage to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you will need to petition to remove the conditions before you can obtain your permanent green card.  This petition is typically made in the last 90 days of the two year anniversary of obtaining your conditional green card. If […]

Widows of US Citizens Will Be Granted Deferred Action

US Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano recently announced that widows of US Citizens will be granted deferred action for two years.  Previously, foreign nationals who married US citizens via the Marriage Green Card but whose US citizen spouse died before they were able to obtain benefits were not eligible for immigration benefits.  The […]

Marriage Green Card: Marriage Fraud Interview

In order to obtain immigration benefits available to a spouse, there must be a valid marriage between the parties. In most situations, a marriage is valid for immigration purpose if it is recognized by the law of the state where it occurs. However, a marriage that is legally valid may still be disregarded if it […]