F1 Student Visa for High School Students at Public and Private Schools

All applicants for F1 student visas must demonstrate that s/he:

1.  has a residence in a foreign country which he has no intention of abandoning;

2.  is a bona fide student qualified to pursue a full course of study;

3.  seeks to enter the United States temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing such a course of study at an established college, university, seminary, conservatory, academic high school, elementary school, or other academic institution or in a language training program in the United States;

4. has a SEVIS Form I-20 from an ICE approved institution; and

5. can demonstrate financial support or the funds to cover the expenses listed in the SEVIS Form I-20.

In cases where the student intends to study at a public secondary school, the student must demonstrate that s/he has reimbursed the local educational agency that administers the school for the full, unsubsidized per capita cost of providing education at the school for the period of the student’s attendance.  Additionally, the period of attendance must be 12 months or less.  Violation of this restriction can result in a five year bar from entry to the United States INA Section 212(a)(6)(G).  In most cases where a F1 visa holder attends high school in the US, s/he will reside with a host family.  It is a good idea for the host family to execute a limited power of attorney so they may seek medical care or assist in legal matters for the child

An F1 visa applicant’s spouse and minor children may obtain F2 visa status. Children of F1 visa holders in F2 visa status may attend elementary school through 12th grade.  Canadian and Mexican nationals who maintains actual residence and place of abode in their country of nationality may commute to the United States to study at an approved institution.