Archive for the ‘Grace Period’ Category

J1 Grace Period

My J status expired and I am in the middle of my 30-day grace period staying in the US, can I apply to change to other nonimmigrant status at this stage? Although I am unaware of any specific statutory authority, USCIS regularly issues approvals for change of status application filed during the J1 grace period.

Posted on August 23, 2012 at 6:19 pm by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink · Leave a comment
In: Grace Period, J-1 Visa · Tagged with: ,

H-1B Visa Transfers

Many H-1B visa holders are under the impression that there is a “grace period” following the conclusion of their stay in H-1B visa status. Most believe that if they are laid off, fired or otherwise terminated that they have 30, 60 or even 90 days to find a new H-1B sponsor or just to gather […]