J1 Visa holder Wishes to Change Status to J2 Visa

Me and my wife were hired to work in the US as teachers for 3 years, each one with its own J1 Visa, however she was diagnosed with breast cancer 6 months later (march 2011) we have seen that we will have to stay to finish the threatment but my our salaries as teachers won`t be enough to survive, I want to quit my J1 visa and become her dependant with J2 visa and ask a work permit, so I search a work with my MBA and get more money to overcome this situation. Is this possible? Is it too risky? Are we allowed to do it? Can you help us? Please let me know and I deeply apprecciate your time

Yes, we can help you obtain J2 visa status or even apply for a work visa such as an H1B visa provided that you are not subject to the two year home residency requirement. It is not risky to change to J2 visa status and as a J2 visa holder you would be able to obtain an EAD which would authorize you to work for any US employer in any capacity.

J2 Visa Holder Divorce

I’m a J2 holder. I plan to file for a divorce and would still like to stay in the US.  We’re both subject to the two year requirement because he is on the skills list. Am I still subject after we divorce? If yes, can I still get a waiver or can only my husband apply for it?

Unfortunately, you will still be subject even if you divorce your husband. In most situations, only the J1 visa holder can apply for a waiver but in cases involving divorce or death of the J1 visa holder, the J2 visa holder can apply for a waiver independently.

J1 Waiver for a J2 Holder

I have J1 visa and my spouse J2 visa. Our visa expires on September 6, 2012 and I am leaving with my kids back. But my husband needs to stay here in order to improve his English and get some upgrade in his education. But he has as I do, two year rule restriction. Can you help us to waive this 2-year rule? If I am not intending to stay here and planning to leave in April, is it possible that the process goes without me. Or is it necessary, that I stay here till the decision is made.

Canceling the labor certification is not required. You can file simultaneous EB1 and NIW petitions and We can help you with a waiver. You do not need to stay here until the decision to be made but it’s not possible to process the case without you.