Religious Worker Portability

I have an approved religious worker visa and my green card is waiting for approvel. I was wondering if I can switch to another church before I get the green card?

The answer is no if you still want to obtain the green card. The law, specifically AC21, allows porting between employers where there is an approved I-140 and a pending I-485 but religious workers are not included in this legislation. You will have to remain with you sponsoring employer until your I-485 is approved.

Posted on August 22, 2012 at 7:42 pm by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink
In: AC21, R-1 Visa · Tagged with: ,

One Response

Subscribe to comments via RSS

  1. Written by mike
    on April 19, 2015 at 3:06 am

    Hi how will I know if my visa r1 is cancel led the validity of my visa is until 2016 I stayed there in the us in 6 mos

Subscribe to comments via RSS

Leave a Reply