J1 Visa – Change of Status

I had a F1 visa for 5 years, before it expired I obtained a J1 in another passport from my country because my mother institution required me so before starting the other program I am in now. I want to change my visa to F1 so I can change my status to a work visa or residency without leaving the States for 2 years. How can I get that?

If you are subject to the two year home residency requirement then you are barred from obtaining a change of status in the US. We will need to review your immigration documents in order to make that determination. If you are subject, then you will need to leave the US and apply for an F1 visa at an Embassy abroad.

Posted on August 25, 2012 at 1:37 pm by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink
In: Change of Status, F-1 Visa, J-1 Visa · Tagged with: , ,

Leave a Reply