Waiving the Meeting Requirement for an K1 Visa Application

I am trying to secure a fiancee visa. The problem I have is that I can not obtain a passport due to owing child support. The question I have is there any other way I can get her here without traveling to her country? She lives in Uzbekistan. Is there another type of visa we can get so that she may travel here.

The law allows USCIS to waive the meeting requirement where there is extreme hardship or a long established custom. To put this in perspective, in 2003 the USCIS Office of Administrative Appeals (AAO) ruled that there was no extreme hardship in a case where the US sponsor refused to meet his fiance during the Afghanistan war because they could have met in a third country.  I don’t think your failure to pay child support would make you eligible for a waiver.

Posted on August 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink
In: AAO, Fiancé Visa, Fiancée Visa · Tagged with: , ,

Leave a Reply