Green Card Holder Sponsors Wife’s Adjustment of Status but Dies Before Approval

My husband was a green card holder filed AOS based on 245(i) for me on April of 2001.  My husband died recently; I went to USCIS office in Houston to ask for an AP to attend husband’s funeral abroad.

I was told that my AOS application was “dead” since the petitioner-my husband, not a USC, died. I was also told to file an I-360 as widower.

Is this the correct route to follow?

No, widow self-petitions are only available for spouses of U.S. Citizens. However, you may be eligible for humanitarian reinstatement of the I-130 which would allow you to continue to pursue the I-485. Please contact our office for further details.

Leave a Comment