Change of Status Application Denied; How Long to Leave the Country

I was an Au Pair, so I came to US with a J1 Visa. After two years I decided to change my status.

I wanted to get the F1 Visa, but it was denied. They sent me a letter saying that I have 30 days to leave the country, but I’ve asked to a lawyer and he said I actually have 180 days to leave without violating the law. I am very confused and I need an ansewr soon.

The notice from immigration properly states how long you may legally remain in the US after your change of status application is denied. Any time spent in the US after that point is illegal and will have a negative impact on any future visa applications made at an Embassy abroad. The 180 day figure provided by another lawyer likely refers to the 3/10 year bar. Any foreign national who accrues 180 days of unlawful presence in the US is barred from re-entering the country, after leaving, for 3 years unless they can obtain a waiver of inadmissibility.

Posted on August 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink
In: F-1 Visa, J-1 Visa · Tagged with: ,

Leave a Reply