Proving the Validity of a Common Law Marriage

My L1A visa application was just approved and I need to go to the US Embassy in London to get the visa stamp.  The issue for me is that my wife and I have a common law marriage so we don’t have a marriage license or certificate.  How do we show that we are married?

While immigration law does recognize common law marriages, I’m not sure how you would document that you qualify.  The easiest solution to your problem would be to go get a marriage certificate.  Then you can produce that at the interview.

Posted on August 23, 2012 at 6:14 pm by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink
In: Common Law Marriage, L-1A Visa · Tagged with: ,

Leave a Reply