From Visa Waiver to US Citizenship

Hi, my girlfriend entered the U.S on a visa waiver program. We plan to get married now and I’m a US citizen. Can she get her citizenship automatically by marring me?

Unfortunately, there is nothing automatic involving immigration. While we should be able to assist the both of you, she will not be able to obtain citizenship immediately. You may sponsor her for permanent residence (green card) and after she maintains her residency for three years, she can apply for US citizenship.

Posted on August 22, 2012 at 7:35 pm by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink
In: Naturalization, Visa Waiver Program · Tagged with: ,

Leave a Reply