Travel After Asylum Approval

My asylum was approved in 2007 and I want to travel. My old passport is still valid but I heard I shouldn’t use it. If I don’t use the passport, how can I travel?

Definitely do not travel on your old passport. Using the passport may cause your asylee status to be revoked and you may be unable to obtain permanent residency or US citizenship when you are otherwise able to apply. The USCIS offers a refugee travel document which may be used in place of a passport for asylee travel. Be sure to obtain the document before traveling and do not return to your home country.

Posted on August 9, 2012 at 9:00 pm by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink
In: Political Asylum · Tagged with: 

Leave a Reply