LPR Travel Outside the US for More Than One Year

I’ve held my green card since 1995. I was recently laid off due to the slowing economy and am considering moving back to England. I don’t know if I will return but I would like to keep that option open if I do decide to come back. What can I do?

In order to maintain your permanent residency in the US, you must evidence your intention to remain a permanent resident. This is normally shown through presence in the US. If you anticipate being outside of the US for more than one year, you should at the very least, apply for a re-entry permit before you leave and make some regular trips to the US during your time outside. There are a few other options to maintain residence but they do require some effort and expense.

Leave a Reply