Applying for an H1B Visa While in Visa Waiver Status

I’m from Italy on visa waiver right now. My stay will expire at the end of September. I got an offer from a US company.  Can I stay here while my H1B is been processed?

We can get the H1B approved in the US but because you entered through the visa waiver program, you are not allowed to change your status. Therefore, after we get the H1B approved, we will need to send you to a US Consulate for visa stamping. This can be done in Canada or Mexico or, if you prefer, you can return to Italy to get this done. We prefer to go for visa stamping in Canada and we have had great success with that route.

Posted on August 13, 2012 at 10:31 pm by Immigration Lawyer Peter Messersmith · Permalink
In: H-1B Visa, Visa Waiver Program · Tagged with: ,

Leave a Reply